OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 2009 17:00:24 -0700
I checked out the Deer Creek Wildlife Area in Fayette and Pickaway Counties again today.

The mind-boggling numbers of ducks continue in both the reservoir and the wetlands. Redheads and Lesser Scaup are still present in the thousands and Ring-necked Ducks aren't far behind. Red-breasted Mergansers are also present in the hundreds in the reservoir. Dabbling ducks are widespread but especially abundant in the wetlands. Green-winged Teal, Gadwalls and American Wigeons are all especially numerous and present in the hundreds. There are fewer N. Pintails now, though. Other ducks include Canada Geese and Mallards, of course, Am Black Ducks, Blue-winged Teals, N Shovelers, Buffleheads, Ruddy Ducks, and all 3 mergansers. The last of the C. Goldeneyes seem to have headed north. In the wetlands were 7 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE.

Ospreys have returned to their spots both at the N end of the reservoir and the wetlands. The pair at the N end of the reservoir was seen mating today already.

Gulls are numerous, although not like a couple of weeks ago. Joining ~2000 Ring-billed Gulls, and ~150 Herring Gulls was a LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL (2nd year), probably a lingerer from a couple of weeks ago that I overlooked on my last visit.

Killdeers are numerous and widespread throughout the area. Joining them in the wetlands were several Wilson's Snipe and a LESSER YELLOWLEGS.

Passerines seem to be at the same stage as last week, but Tree Swallows were more numerous. One surprise for the date was a small flock of 10 Cedar Waxwings. Where were they coming from and where were they going I wonder?

Considering that Deer Creek is one of the largest and most varied wildlife areas in Ohio and that it's only an easy 1/2 hour drive from Columbus, I'm surprised how little attention it gets. I'm not going to have a chance to go there again for at least a month or more. I would hate not to see it get any coverage at all at this time of year.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com