OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 2009 23:09:54 -0400
Heather Raymond and I had a good day birding today. We stopped by Delaware Co. Wildlife area along Panhandle/Leonardsburg road and had a good selection of waterfowl on the wetland there, with really fun views of displaying Bufflehead, Redhead, and others plus FOY BLUE-WINGED TEAL (6) and other species of Ducks including Lesser Scaup, N. Shoveler, Gadwall, and Ringnecks. Out on the Delaware Lake side of things we had a raft of Ruddy Ducks and Greater Scaup. Also FOY for me were a half dozen or so TREE SWALLOWS. We followed a murder of crows to discover a besieged Great Horned Owl in their sights.

We also made the trek up to Summit Lake in Akron, where we had about six perky little Horned Grebes one of which was nearly all the way into alternate plumage - horns and all. We also had a few Ringnecks, PB Grebe and finally down past the Summit Lake appartments we spotted the larger RED-NECKED GREBE and I got a few identifiable digiscopes. Good bird.

On the way home we stopped by Wright Marsh and Shreve fish pond off of 226 in the Killbuck Marsh area. We had the usual ducks, and on the pond we saw three WILSON"S SNIPE, and a Bonaparte's Gull along with Mallards and Killdeer. It was a good day.

         Good Birding,

                              - Ben Warner