OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Laura Keene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Keene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 2009 23:03:51 -0400
A beautiful morning for a walk at Caley Reservation in Lorain County with
the grandkids. We spotted one of the reported Long-eared owls, in the same
location as last year.

On our drive home, we saw the Great Blue Heron rookery in southern Lorain
County was full of nesting herons. The rookery is located on the east fork
of the Black River midway between Jones and Smith Roads on the east side
of SR 301 in Penfield and is easily seen from SR 301.

Further south, in a field just south of Spencer Mills on SR 301, on the
east side of the road was a hovering Rough-legged Hawk. We pulled off the
road so I could take a few shots, then noticed anther hovering Rough-
legged Hawk in the opposite field.

Laura Keene
Mason, OH