OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Clyde Witt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Clyde Witt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:39:15 -0400
On March 15, Susan Jones, Karin Tanquist, Pat Coy and I had a spectacular
display of eagles at Killdeer Plains. Pat was first to spot the juvenile
Golden Eagle as it soared east of Pond #31. Two adult Bald Eagles rose to
meet the juvenile golden and the three birds put on an aerial display the
likes of which you just don't see in Ohio. After the three birds separated,
an adult Golden Eagle came into view, soared around and flew off to the
east. We had, probably,eight Bald Eagles for the day, including two
juveniles on the ground.
It sort of made the day's list of 59 species, including 103 Tundra Swans,
pale in comparison. We had only four Short-eared Owls, a sprinkling of
Rough-legged Hawks and a couple of American Woodcocks, along with the usual
suspects.
I've posted two photos of the eagles on my blog,
www.mywittsend.blogspot.com, for documentation.

Clyde Witt
www.mywittsend.blogspot.com