OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:01:58 -0700
We have a small retention pond next to our house & for the past couple of weeks we have seen a pair of Canada Geese on the pond almost every day, usually in the morning and/or evening, sometimes in the middle of the day.  I believe they spend the night there most nights.  But recently we saw something we have never seen before.  They both were on the roof of our house, standing on the peak of the garage, right at the edge, looking out over the pond.  They stayed there for quite a while.  Eventually 1 of them (I will say the male) started honking & making moves like he was ready to leave.  He kind of took a step forward & accidently stepped off the edge, so of course rather than plummet to the ground he flew off to the north out of sight.  The female just stood there on the roof looking in the direction he flew.  I could just hear her thinking "What the heck do you think you are doing? I didn't say it was time to leave!"  After about 10 minutes
 the male came back & landed in the pond & then a couple of minutes later rejoined her on the roof.  When we had to go away an hour later, they were both still on the roof, having not even moved a few inches.

They continue to grace us daily with their prescence but not so entertainingly as that day.  Though they could have been up there other times; if we don't happen to be outside & look up we wouldn't know.  We will continue to enjoy them as long as they remain a pair & not a flock!  It would be nice if they nested here but the water level in the retention pond rises & falls quite dramatically every time it rains so it would not really be a good spot for them.

Has anyone else ever seen geese standing about on the peak of a roof?  Why would they do that?  I realize it provides a great view to look for predators but why would they stay up there for over an hour?  We took a few pictures but I don't know how to go about posting them so readers of this list serve can see them so if anyone would like to see the pictures, send me an e-mail & I can send them to you directly.  That I know how to do.

Laura Dornan
Louisville, Stark County