OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Terry and Heli <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry and Heli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 2009 19:35:17 -0400
Don't read this if you are sensitive.

It wasn't the birds that were weird but some of the humans. Lots of
ducks. Saw a couple of hooded mergansers.
Lots of ring necks, gadwalls, shovelers, buffle heads, ruddys, 2 wood
ducks, coots. mallards. One red winged black bird. One singing song
sparrow.
The great horned owls on the east side of the path have hatched and
their heads are popping up once in a while. The bald eagles
were on their nest too.

A man started to make with me conversation at the observation hill
and I think he was trying to impress the poor woman he was with. He
started asking
why we can't just kill any birds we want since there are obviously so
many of them and a lot of them are a nuisance. His uncle hunts robins
he said.
He also tried splitting a crow's tongue once to see if it would talk
but it just bled all over the place!  Apparently there are still
savages out there
that believe such nonsense and also still shoot song birds for meals.

Apparently the tongue splitting myth is commonly held. People think
it may help a stubborn pet bird learn to talk.