OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 2009 12:03:51 -0700
Although I really didn't have the time to spare, I headed to Deer Creek for a couple hours this morning to see what was going on. Sure enough, most of the ducks have clerared out with only a few hundred ducks remaining in the reservoir. Most were seen from the cliff by the picnic areas and the shallow SW corner.  Lesser Scaups were still the most numerous with ~100 remaining with Red-breased Mergansers close behind.  Other ducks on the reservoir included the same species as a few days ago (including several B-w Teal), but most in far lower numbers. Gulls were also way down, but the LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL was still present in the SW corner of the reservoir with the few remaining Herring Gulls. A Bonaparte's Gull, not seen a few days ago, joined the group. Also utilizing the mudflats in the SW corner was a LESSER YELLOWLEGS. 5 Horned Grebes were recent arrivals on the reservoir.

The wetlands also had dramatically diminished duck numbers, but the GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE have remained. Shorebirds noted there included ~40 Wilson's Snipe and a single GREATER YELLOWLEGS.

Field Sparrows were singing on territory at several locations throughout the area, although still in small numbers.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com