OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Kathy Mock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 2009 18:25:56 -0400
I can find no evidence that "widgeon" is a misspelling.  Doing a Google
search produces over 67,000 results under this entry.

Even my 1947 reprint of Roger Tory Peterson's 1934 _Field Guide to the Birds
Eastern Land and Water Birds_ lists it as such, with a cross-reference to
Baldpate. There are also other wonderful cross-references to Burgomaster
(Glaucous Gull), Reed Bird (Bobolink), etc.

So, a bit archaic?  Yes.  Incorrect? No.

Better to see postings of alternative spellings of bird names than postings
of alternative species.

By the way, is the Eurasion Widgeon still being seen in the Killbuck/Funk
area?

Kathy Mock
Barberton