OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:09:54 -0400
This afternoon (Tuesday March 17) I found a male Eurasian Wigeon and a
winter-plumaged Red-necked Grebe at Metzger Marsh Wildlife Area, Lucas Co.,
northwest Ohio.   The Eurasian Wigeon was associating with a flock of
American Wigeon, well south of the main road that runs east-northeast along
the north side of the impoundment, and it was far enough away that it would
have been an unsatisfying view without a scope.  At least 3000 waterbirds
(mostly ducks and coots) are on the impoundment, so it may take some looking
to find the bird. At one point, hundreds of ducks took to the air, probably
because of an eagle flying over, and after they settled I was unable to find
the Eurasian again.  (At Metzger I also ran into a birder who was
specifically looking for this species, and unfortunately I was unable to
find this gentleman again after I spotted the bird.)  The Red-necked Grebe
was near the northern end of the impoundment, most easily seen from the boat
launch near the end of the road; it was to the southeast of the boat launch
and in the same general area as many American Coots, Redheads, Ring-necked
Ducks, Gadwall, and other birds.  If anyone is going to look for this bird
in the morning, the light would be better then from the dike beyond the end
of the road.  (For a map showing the layout of Metzger Marsh, go to
http://www.bsbo.org/Birding/  and follow the links for "Birding hotspots:
directions and maps".)

Not far away at Magee Marsh Wildlife Area, a Northern Shrike was still
present this afternoon, easily seen to the west of the third (northernmost)
pullout on the causeway across the marsh.  This is likely the same
individual that has been here all winter.

Waterfowl are abundant in the area now, and so are migrating blackbirds,
including many hundreds of Rusty Blackbirds.  Given all the recent focus on
Rusty Blackbird, it's worth taking the time to study this bird in late March
and the beginning of April, the peak passage for this species here.

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, Ohio