OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
m shieldcastle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
m shieldcastle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:21:51 -0400
As already mentioned in Kenn Kaufman's post as well as others things are
starting to hop with spring migration along the North Coast.
Just to add to the where do I go first, I manned the hawk count site along
Lickert-Harder Rd. (the road that goes south across from the entrance to
Ottawa NWR) at the Turtle Creek bridge yesterday morning.  While hawks
didn't really get going while I was there it was a tremendous morning.
Blackbird and prairie/tundra passerines were everywhere in movement.  As far
as the binocular could see both north and south there were flocks moving.
Some of the highlights were:
Rusty Blackbird - 1450
Horned Lark - 483
American Pipit - 45
Lapland Longspur - 4503
Snow Bunting - 331
And those were just flocks following the creek or within several hundred
yards.
Interesting that all of the longspur/bunting flocks were moving east and the
larks west.
Also, major robin movement.
So while getting to the big marshes don't ignore the open fields and small
stream corridors as possible good birding spots.

Mark