OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Bill Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 2009 12:52:11 -0400
Hello, Ohioans. Below is a recent list of species at MCWS. All observations were by ever-intrepid observers Jim Dolan, Jeff Harvey and Bob/ Denise (shrike) Lane.? Please excuse the alphabetical order -- sometimes easier to work with. I still hold to my motto: "Water up: ducks -- water down: shorebirds."?? Water levels are being lowered?for the latter.? This list does not include earlier 2009?sightings of white-winged crossbill, pine siskin, snow goose, other waterfowl?and others. The long-residing, nesting eagles appear to be holding onto their eggs this year; they lost them?last season. And the resident river otter?has been sighted several times over the last year, along with many other non avian species. Designing this ecosystem for the "umbrella species" of ducks and shorebirds has, as the term implies, provided habitat for almost every other?species found in Ohio.

Once again,?because the area is restricted,?Jim, Jeff and Bob/Denise have graciously offered to escort birders around the sanctuary. Until further notice, at least one of them will be at the sanctuary entrance at 9 AM Sunday mornings. For other times, email me and I will forward to one of the observers. (I am currently not in Ohio.)

Bill Jones
Canfield (Youngstown)

???? American woodcock? 4

???? American Coot????? 60+

???? American Crow???? 8+

???? American Robin????? 20+

???? American Tree Sparrow???? 3

???? American Widgeon???? 80+

???? Bald Eagle????? 3

???? Barred Owl

???? Belted Kingfisher

???? Black-capped Chickadee???? 10

???? Blue Jay???? 6+

???? Blue-winged Teal???? 1 pair

???? Canada Goose???? 100+

???? Cooper's Hawk???? 2

???? Dark-eyed Junco???? 3

???? Downy Woodpecker??? 2

???? Eastern Bluebird???? 6+

???? Eastern Phoebe??? 2

???? European Starling???? 10+

???? Gadwall???? 60+

???? Great Blue Heron???? 3

???? Great-horned owl?

???? Green-winged Teal???? 120+

???? Hooded Merganser???? 40

???? Killdeer???? 3

???? Lesser Scaup???? 1 male?? 2 female

???? Long-tailed Duck*? 1 (several earlier)

???? Mallard???? 40+

???? Mourning Dove???? 8

???? Northern Cardinal????? 6

???? Northern Flicker???? 1