OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 2009 00:02:35 -0400
Hi all,

I wanted to tip everyone to a fascinating paper that was published recently
in the Wilson Journal of Ornithology, by three Ohio researchers: Cheryl
Dykstra, Jeff Hays, and Melinda Simon. They have been studying nesting
Red-shouldered Hawks in southern Ohio for years, and have discovered some
fascinating relationships between these beautiful raptors and certain types
of foliage, most notably black cherry. The leaves of this tree are loaded
with toxins, and the hawks use it to adorn their nests, apparently as a
natural insecticide.

The paper is a short but good read, and is a wonderful bit of research into
the relationships between animals and plants. I suspect that few readers of
this list subscribe to the Wilson Journal, so if you would like to have a
look at the paper, I've posted it to my blog:
http://jimmccormac.blogspot.com/

Jim

Jim McCormac

Columbus, Ohio