OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
"James B. Cole" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James B. Cole
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 2009 17:10:34 -0400
Hi -
    Today marked the release of a new U.S. 'State of the Birds' report,
which I thought subscribers to this list might find edifying.  Although
various incarnations of this type of report have been published in the
past (including an edition in 2004 by NAS and a subsequent update in
2007, if memory serves), this is the first report to integrate findings
from a broad coalition of organizations.  To check the new website,
visit here:  http://www.stateofthebirds.org/.  Or to download the glossy
report, check this link:
http://www.stateofthebirds.org/pdf_files/State_of_the_Birds_2009.pdf
<http://www.stateofthebirds.org/pdf_files/State_of_the_Birds_2009.pdf> .
    The U.S. 'State of the Birds' report is modeled after similar
reports done regularly in the United Kingdom (developed by the British
Trust for Ornithology and other partners) and for the world, developed
by BirdLife International. The report is technically a product of the
North American Bird Conservation Initiative, but the authors of the
report represent nearly every major bird conservation organization in
the country, as well as the as well as the U.S. Fish and Wildlife
Service and U.S. Geological Survey.  And the U.S. team intends to repeat
this work at regular intervals (probably every 3-5 years) to provide a
continual and easy to use way of tracking bird populations for the
public, agencies, and conservationists of all kinds.
    Sorry to be off-topic, but I hope this of interest to most readers.

Good birding,

James Cole
Lucas County

________________________________