OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 2009 23:58:46 EDT
Saturday, March 21--What a great day for the auto tour at Ottawa NWR.
Abundant waterfowl everywhere.  We were not disappointed at Metzger  either.

Ottawa:
    Pied-billed grebe
    American coots
    Tundra and trumpeter swans
    Canada geese
    Great blue herons
    Great egrets
    Ring-billed, Bonaparte's, and herring  gulls
    Gadwalls
    Mallards
    Hooded and common mergansers
    Northern shovelers
    Ring-necked ducks
    American widgeons
    Black ducks
    Redheads
    Canvasbacks
    Wood ducks
    Northern pintails
    Green- and blue-winged teals
    Buffleheads
    Lesser scaups
    Killdeer
    Wilson's snipes
    Lesser yellowlegs
    Bald eagles
    Northern harriers
    Red-tailed hawks
    American kestrel
    Downy woodpecker
    Tree swallows
    Northern cardinal
    Black-capped chickadee
    Dark-eyed juncos
    Brown-headed cowbirds
    Red-winged and rusty blackbirds
    Common grackles
    American robin
    Song, swamp, house, and tree sparrows

Metzger Marsh--In late afternoon, the light was not in our favor.  A  return
trip Sunday morning should be better.
    Great blue herons
    Canvasbacks
    Gadwalls
    Redheads
    Buffleheads
    American coots
    Green- and blue-winged teals
    Lesser scaups
    Ring-necked ducks
    American widgeons (heard the Eurasian had been seen  around 2:30 p.m. but
no luck.  Maybe Sunday morning.)
    Horned lark
    Mourning dove
    Ring-billed gulls
    Bald eagle
    Red-winged and rusty blackbirds
    Eastern phoebe
    American tree, song, and house sparrows

    An interesting observation:  Along Zenser  Rd./Turtle Creek, the bare
trees held hundreds and hundreds of male cowbirds and  a few female cowbirds,
hundreds and hundreds of female redwings and few males,  many grackles and a few
rusties.

Ed and Bev Neubauer
Englewood,  Ohio

**************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store?  Make meals for Under