OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 2009 00:19:25 -0400
Went to Big Isle this morning to get few pics of some waterfowl.  All that would stay was a groop of Shovelers, a couple of Teal and a pair of Grebes...But I got some great pics. :D  I was over at the blind at the far west end of the old ponds..not much happening there. It was all further east.  On the rest of the Old ponds, I also saw some Ringnecks, Megansers, and Mallards.  As well as Gulls, Geese and Grebes.

Since the Eagle nest in the west section of the Isle has blown down, that half of the wetlands are open, so I went back to the rookery.  I had never been back there before...If I had, I would have KNOWN to bring My wellies. :-D  Anyhew, the GBHs are doing what GBHs do at this time of year ;-). They didn't realy care if I was there, they were more interested in stealing each others eggs.  It's a wonder that any survive.

I didn't realize that it was that big.  I thought that it was on one...maybe two trees...but it's not.  Really an amazing site.  Also saw some wood ducks back in there.

After sloshing back from that, I sat at my car and watched the swallows play tag. then headed over to the new ponds.  Lots of virety over at the new ponds, I saw coots, mergansers, pintails, ringnecks, redheaded, blue teal, and mallards.  i'm sure that there was more, but I was just doing a drive by on my way home...my feet were cold for some reason. :-D It seemed that if you needed a duck of some sort, it was there.

Pics here (including a Turkey Vulture from Thursday that was so close I could have touched it at one point):

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s226/sjlarue/Birds

Have a great weekend.

Happy Birding and God Bless

Steve Jones
(a.k.a. sjlarue)
Blog: http://sjlarueslenses.blogspot.com/
Psalm 103:4-6

 4 who redeems your life from the pit
       and crowns you with love and compassion,

 5 who satisfies your desires with good things
       so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.

 6 The LORD works righteousness
       and justice for all the oppressed.