OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 2009 10:25:51 -0700
From 0830-930 Sunday I counted migrants passing Perkin's Bluff at Edgewater SP (Cuyahoga Co).  Here are the numbers:

Great Blue Heron  3
Killdeer  5
Mourning Dove  37
Northern Flicker  1
Eastern Phoebe  2
American Crow  138
American Robin  258
Pine Siskin  3

In other areas of the park - an adult ICELAND GULL was visible from the circle parking lot at the west end of the park, and a first-yr GLAUCOUS GULL near the Westerly Wastewater Treatment Plant.  Also near the treatment plant was an adult SURF SCOTER consorting with a scaup flock (northeast corner of the harbor).

I checked Wendy Park for migrant owls, but found none.  The grapevine tangles along the lake edge look enticing, and I did find a bit of whitewash.

The most peculiar bird of the day was an undersized, white-winged Ring-billed Gull at E 55th St marina.  This Ringer had PURE WHITE wingtips and was quite a bit smaller than average - almost Bonaparte's-size.  However, the rest of the bird was a dead match for adult Ring-billed Gull.  Has anyone else seen such a bird?

A light-phase Rough-legged Hawk was at Burke, and a woodcock at Erie Street Cemetary.

-Gabe Leidy
Cleveland