OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 2009 15:50:57 -0400
Clark County Audubon had a walk at Buck Creek State Park and Old Reid
Park near Springfield and had some interesting sightings. First we found
two Ross's Geese in Old Reid Park which is adjacent to the state park.
There were also Gadwall, Northern Shoveler, Bufflehead, and Hooded
Merganser on the ponds. Then we looked over the lake at the state park
from the north end of the beach which is on the east side of the south
end of the lake. We found several Common Loons and a single winter
plumaged Red-throated Loon. There were several species of ducks also on
the lake including Lesser Scaup, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, and
Red-breasted Merganser. We then drove to the north end of the lake off
Grant Road. There are still some mudflats there and we found two
Wilson's Snipe and a Least Sandpiper with a few Killdeer. There were
large numbers of gulls. Most were Ring-billed Gulls but we also saw many
Herring and Bonatparte's Gulls. We also found a single Great Egret.

Doug Overacker
Springfield, Ohio