OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 2009 21:22:39 -0400
Nature

Today, my husband Ken, Rob Lowry and I headed out to look for the Eurasian Widgeon and Eared Grebe at Killdeer. Although we did not find either, there were plenty of ducks at all the ponds at Killdeer. Of note, we had 3 Common Loons at the reservoir. We ran into a couple who had seen a Golden eagle near Pond 27, but we did not see it. We then headed to Big Island. There we ran into a group from Columbus Audubon who pointed out a beautiful Rough-Legged Hawk. We finally spotted a Golden Eagle just South of Rt 95. Then headed to the ponds along LaRue - Prospect Rd. Not too much was seen, but there were many new arrival Tree Swallows. At the far Western pull off we made one last stop. As we were scoping out the water, a large bird flew in and landed near Rob. A Sandhill Crane! A great end to the day. We were able to point it out to the CA group as well. All in all, a wonderful spring birding day.

Julie and Ken Davis
Julie Davis