OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Liz McQuaid <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Liz McQuaid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 2009 09:12:48 -0400
Went to Caley with Marty Reynard on Sunday.  We saw a lot of owl droppings
through out all of the stands of pines there, however the long eared owls
were nowhere to be seen.  Lots of chickadees and titmice, but no owls.

There were at least 30 Canada Geese and a couple of mallards on the ponds,
but nothing else.

In Spencer at the corner of Spencer Mills Rd & Rt 301 we saw two crows
harassing a rough legged hawk.  They eventually gave up and in the process
we got a spectacular low fly over.  The aaaahhhh moment of the day.

Then at 301 & Webster Rd we saw a N. Harrier hunting so we pulled onto
Webster to watch.  There is a bit of a marshy area there in a field, and the
harrier was hovering and dipping for about 10 minutes.  We did no see him
catch anything though.  He then flew south & east.  We also heard an E.
Meadowlark there.

All in all an enjoyable day.