OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:54:58 EDT
Bruce Simpson and Bill Kinkead joined me to do some birding  in
south-central Ohio today. We covered areas in Ross and Pickaway Counties  including Scioto
Trail State Forest, Stages Pond Nature Preserve, Pickaway  Plains and several
nooks and crannies in between. We specialized in brown-eyed  owls as we
scored with both a Barn Owl and a Barred Owl.

Scioto Trail State Forest was somewhat quiet as the employees are still  busy
cleaning  up the debris from the recent wind storms. We did find a few
decent birds there such as Red-shouldered Hawks, Brown Creepers, Eastern  Towhees,
Eastern Phoebes and a Pileated Woodpecker that was calling but not  coming out
to be seen.

At Pickaway Plains we observed many Horned Larks, a few Eastern Meadow
Larks, a pair of Hooded Mergansers, a female Northern Harrier and finally, much  to
our surprise, a lone Snow Bunting in breeding plumage.

Stage’s Pond State Preserve provided most of the waterfowl we observed and
also a Ring-necked Pheasant, Rusty Blackbird and Barred Owl.

We had 51 species for the day:
Pied-Billed Grebe
Horned  Grebe
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Turkey  Vulture
Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Mallard
Northern  Shoveler
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Hooded  Merganser
Northern Harrier
Cooper’s Hawk
Red-shouldered  Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Ring-necked Pheasant
Killdeer
Ring-billed  Gull
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
BARN OWL
Barred Owl
Red-bellied  Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker (heard  calling but not seen)
Eastern Phoebe
Blue Jay
American Crow
Horned  Lark