OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 2009 16:06:32 -0800
Wow, something unique and exciting is going on with the rarer gulls in the interior of Ohio lately!!!  Today at Berlin Res. along with 350 herring gulls were single adult GLAUCOUS and GREAT BLACK-BACKED GULLS.  They were seen from the Rte. 224 causeway.  Oddly, there were only modest numbers of ring-billed gulls present.  Berlin was 99% frozen, and the only fowl of note seen were 2 lesser scaup, 1 hooded merganser, and 2 horned grebes.  Around Berlin WA were 50 wild turkeys, bald eagle, 3 red-shouldered hawks, 2 Am. kestrels, Am. robins, and 8 cedar waxwings.  Nearby L. Milton was also 99% frozen.  Crammed into open water at the south end were 765 Canada geese, 3 tundra swans, mallards, 30 Am. black ducks, 1 canvasback, 1 redhead, 30 ring-necked ducks, 6 buffleheads, 13 c. goldeneyes, 6 hooded mergansers, and 5 common mergansers.  Where did all the rest of the ducks that were at these two reservoirs go?  I would urge birders (especially south of
 me) to go look for open water now; you might find any of the white-winged gulls or either black-backed gull.  Even an adult kittiwake was found inland recently.  And there are surely many waterfowl hunkered down in Ohio, somewhere, riding out this Arctic blast.  The weather is supposed to moderate beginning tomorrow--and stuff should start moving soon afterward.  The plot thickens......Craig