OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 28 Mar 2009 06:51:05 -0700
I got out yesterday 3/27 to see what was around the Mahoning Co. area now.  I was down in Louisiana recently, so I was curious to see what had changed up here in the last 10 days.  Flickers, phoebes, tree swallows, and towhees were more numerous and widespread.  There were enough fishing boats at Berlin and Milton to discourage waterfowl gatherings on much of the main lakes there.  Water level is back up near normal at Milton.  Raptors were in good variety and decent numbers, but no movements were evident.  Gull numbers are way down, especially ring-bills.  Noteworthy at Berlin L/WA were: wood ducks, blue-winged teal, green-winged teal, a pair of ospreys back at the nest site at the south end, golden-crowned kinglet, and 30 song sparrows.  L. Milton had a good collection of divers, almost all were by the dam: canvasbacks, redheads, ring-necked ducks, 5 greater scaup, lesser scaups, buffleheads, c. goldeneyes, red-breasted mergansers, and a horned
 grebe.  In the afternoon, I searched around Coitsville Twp. (Mahoning Co.) and came up with 2 Wilson's snipes, pileated woodpecker, n. mockingbird, e. bluebirds, dark-eyed juncos, white-throated sparrows, and 2 rusty blackbirds.  Later, Craig