OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 2009 12:28:36 EDT
Hello!

Yesterday, Dan Sanders, Doreene Linzell, and I birded the following  route
south of Columbus: Stage's Pond, Calamus Swamp, Charlie's  Pond, Scioto Trail
State Park, Deer Creek State Park area, and the Haul  Road quarry lake on the
south side of Columbus.  The more notable birds  seen and/or heard were as
follows:

STAGE'S POND
Ruddy Duck-5
Northern Shoveler
Wood Duck-4
Tree Swallow-4

CALAMUS SWAMP
Rusty Blackbird-~60 to 70
Eastern Phoebe-pair at blind
Winter Wren
Brown Thrasher
Swamp Sparrow
Brown Creeper
Wood Duck-6

CHARLIE'S POND
Eastern Meadowlarks-3 or 4
Savannah Sparrow
Northern Harrier-2
Tree Swallow-4
VESPER SPARROW-3 or 4 near fence around Scippo Treatment Plant
Northern Mockingbird-1 along unpaved road to Scippo Treatment Plant
Horned Lark-several

SCIOTO TRAIL
Chipping Sparrow-several
Pileated Woodpecker-saw 1, heard 2
Belted Kingfisher
Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker

DEER CREEK RESERVOIR
SURF SCOTER
RED-NECKED GREBE
Horned Grebe
Pied-Billed Grebe-2
Scaup-raft of 73
Yellowlegs-67 total with ~80-90% Greater
Bonaparte's Gull-55, a few almost in full breeding plumage
Herring Gull-8 at beach
Ring-Billed Gull-several
Green-Winged Teal-several
American Wigeon-pair
Tree Swallow-numerous
Northern Shoveler-1 male in Scaup raft
OSPREY-great views of pair at nesting platform

DEER CREEK WETLANDS (DICK ROAD)
Ring-Necked Duck-numerous
Bufflehead-5 or 6
Northern Shoveler-numerous
Blue-Winged Teal-~35-40
Green-Winged Teal-~20-25
Gadwall-pair
Tree Swallow-~35-40
Wood Duck-~10-15
Eastern Phoebe

HAUL ROAD QUARRY LAKE
RED-NECKED GREBE
Horned Grebe
Pied-Billed Grebe-2

Scioto Trail State Park was fairly quiet overall.  No Yellow-Throated
Warblers or Louisiana Waterthrushes were heard or observed.  The Haul Road  quarry
lake is just east of the Scioto River and north of Rte. 104.  It can  be
accessed off of I-71 by exiting east at the Rte. 104, exiting at the  first ramp
(Haul Road), and turning left (north) on Haul Road.  There are  lakes on both
sides of Haul Road but the birds were observed on the west lake  (on the left).
Please note that you may be visited by security (white car  with "Securitas"
on it) for the business further north up Haul Road, but they  have ALWAYS been
very nice once they realize that you are birding and not  bothering anything.
Please e-mail me privately for directions to any of  the other places that we
visited.

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio

steps!