OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Chris Knoll <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Knoll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 2009 15:49:38 -0400
Today it rained and sleeted in the early afternoon with heavy winds at time,
but John Sawvel and I did manage to see a few new species on the boardwalk.
Bird movement has been pretty good the past few days in the area. Certain
duck species are getting a little scarcer and shorebirds are starting to
come in on Benton Carroll Road.  Here is what we saw in a very short time on
the boardwalk.

Pond by the boardwalk
1. Canada Goose
2. Wood Duck - 8 to 10 flyovers during the storm
3. Ring-necked Duck - several pairs
3. Greater Scaup - 1 pair; nice look at the male's large, blue bill.
4. Lesser Scaup - several pairs
5. Belted Kingfisher - 1; my first one.
6. Tree Swallow - 60 + around 11:20 AM

Boardwalk (to the bridge only
1. Bald Eagle - 2 immatures
2. Ring-billed Gull - flyovers
3. Mourning Dove - several now
4. Downy Woodpecker - several
5. Northern Flicker - 2
6. Eastern Phoebe - 2 (+3 more on Ottawa's beach)
7. American Crow - many flyovers
8. Black-capped Chickadee - 1
9. Brown Creeper - at least 3
10. Winter Wren - at least 2; so cute
11. Golden-crowned Kinglet - about 9; males showing their orange
12. Hermit Thrush - 2 near entrance (new for the year)
13. American Robin - several
14. Eastern Towhee - saw 1, heard 2 others
15. A. Tree Sparrow - 3
16. Fox Sparrow - several scratching the ground
17. Song Sparrow - 2
18. Dark-eyed Junco - 2
19. N. Cardinal - 3
20. Red-winged Blackbird - several
21. Rusty Blackbird - several pairs turning leaves at the waters edge
22. C. Grackle - a few
23. Purple Finch - 2 males (new for the year)

Later Birding Fans,

Christopher J. Knoll

Education Director

Black Swamp Bird Observatory