OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 2009 08:33:38 -0500
John Habig, Troy Shively and I birded in central and north-central Ohio
yesterday, signing off in late afternoon when it became clear we were
going to fall a few short of the state February record of 87, and well
short of predicted high temps.
        All were birds of the season, and nearly all to be expected at this
date. Good finds worth passing on were:
        ---a Ross's goose, probably the one reported by Sean Williams on
Thursday, which had moved a bit east to float just off the swimming
beach at Delaware State Park with gulls and other geese.
        ---15-20 white-winged crossbills remaining at Green Lawn Cemetery in
Columbus (trees around the pit & feeders), and several at Chapel Hts
Memorial Garden north of Marion (old DeLorme 47-C7), where several
red-breasted nuthatches remain.
        ---an adult golden eagle at Killdeer (just N of intersection of C77 &
T123), probably the bird reported a couple of times earlier this season.
        Interesting was an aggregation of thousands of birds feeding on the
ground in the NW part of Green Lawn. Very intent, they allowed us to
move slowly among them in the car. In order of number: starlings,
juncos, robins, white-throated sparrows, cardinals, song sparrows, r-s
towhee. Others that don't often feed on the ground may have been drawn
to the area by the others: brown creeper, yellow-rumped warbler,
goldfinches, various woodpeckers, etc. Quite a show, even without the
scarcer species we were seeking.
Bill Whan
Columbus