OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
michael gerringer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
michael gerringer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 2009 20:11:11 -0500
Observers:  Michael Gerringer and Linda Daily Leonhard:
Location:    Lake at Eastwood Metro Park  1385 Harshman Road  Dayton, Ohio
45431
Date/Time:  3/5/2009 2:00 PM

     We saw an adult male Peregrine Falcon.  The falcon flew over our car
and landed in a snag near the water.  We observed the falcon for about 30
minutes and managed to get some good pictures.  The falcon didn't seem to
mind us at all.

     If you turn into the Eastwood Metro Park Lake entrance, drive to
the very end of the road.  It turns into gravel but if you drive all the way
to the end as far as you can go, there is a smaller body of water that
is cut off from the rest of the lake.  The Peregrine Falcon was in a snag in
between the smaller body of water and the big lake.

     We also saw a group of Mallards, one of which was mostly white with a
white breast and mostly white (some light gray) body.  The bill
was identical to the bills of the other Mallards but the head was a
buffy brown-gray with a slight tinge of Green.  The eyes were mostly white
but may have had a tinge of yellow.  We managed to get some pictures of this
strange looking Mallard.