OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Jill Bowers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jill Bowers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 2009 18:04:00 -0500
Hi All,

Sorry about no posts recently, but we were birding in Texas the month of
February. And the birds there were GREAT!

Since returning home, our Bald Eagles are incubating!!
AND the White Pelican (s) still remain on GLSM!! Which means they WERE
present during February - even though I wasn't around to report them.

For waterfowl the report is GREAT!

Of course the Ever-present Canada Goose numbers are WAY UP! Many are "wild"
geese - (wild geese refers to those just hanging around for a short period -
verses our "resident" numbers - approximately 3-4000. Many "specs" have
visited the SM Fish Hatchery and Mercer Wildlife Area (MWA). Ducks are
beginning to show up - many divers - N Shovelers, GL Scaup, Coot numbers are
up. GW Teal Canvas backs -- to name a few.

Our Kestrels are looking for their nest box (my husband put it back up
today). It's really too early for them to be thinking of a nest box - but --
and the H Sparrows are checking it out as well.

There are 2-3 pair of Redtail Hawks in the vicinity of the MWA.

Redwing BBs hang onto the fence along the highways

Oh, my! Sorry to go on and on -
Well, Spring is certainly NOT far behind.

Jill Bowers
Auglaize County