OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 2009 20:07:00 -0500
Following up on Charlie Bombaci's post this afternoon, Mary and I checked
out the pond in area A in the Delaware Wildlife Area.

There's quite a lot of water here, far more than in some past seasons,
making for a large expanse of waterfowl habitat.  We first scanned from
Panhandle Road; we then walked the levee and looked down to the pond.  The
latter gave us better views, but for a full scan you almost have to check
both sides, as certain areas that are hidden from one side are visible from
the other.

We did not find the Eurasian Wigeon, but there are lots of ducks here --
Charlie's estimate of 2,000 total does not seem unreasonable.  I won't
repeat his species list here; suffice it to say that it's worth a look even
if the Eurasian Wigeon did not stick around.  And I don't want to discourage
wigeon-seekers: there's no way that I can guarantee that we saw every duck
on the pond and plenty of waterfowl were coming and going, so it's quite
possible that the wigeon still is there somewhere.

--
Bill Heck