OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2009

From:
D Neidert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
D Neidert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 2009 16:32:04 -0500
Kay Lauener and I visited Mogadore Reservoir yesterday.  There is
still one small area of open water off of Congress Lake Road.  If you
haven't been, there is a good pull off area, and the birds are fairly
close.  From there, we observed:

30 Canada geese
10 Hooded Mergansers
3 Mallard
1 Gadwall
4 Ring Necked Ducks
50 Ring Billed Gull
2 Red-tailed Hawks

Went to Deer Creek Reservoir and Berlin.  Did not see the Redheads and
Canvasbacks that Craig reported.  Must have been in the wrong
locations. Have never birded this area before, so I was not sure where
to go exactly.  Drove down Price Rd, Lowe, German Church, Bandy and
Wagoner, back up 14 to 224, and ended at the Berlin Dam. We did see

100's Canada geese (one banded with an orange band @ Price Road
bridge.  Sorry, I could not get any numbers)
1000's of ring billed gull- especially at the Berlin Dam.  Wow that's
an incredible amount of gull! I don't know my gull at all- if you are
into them, its a good spot.
8 Red breasted Mergansers
1 Hooded Merganser
1 Common Merganser
7 Red Tailed Hawks (2 pairs in one location)
1 Red Shouldered
1 Coopers

Today we went to Lake Rockwell to see the Bald Eagles, and were not
disappointed.  Saw 4 immatures and 1 adult (didn't get a great look-
was flying away) feeding on the deer carcass (how did that get there,
for real?!?)

Also went to Herrick Fen-3 Red-shouldered Hawks (2 in one location off
Seasons Rd.) 2 Northern Flickers, 15+ Chickadees, 1 Downy, 1
Red-bellied, and 1 Northern Shrike.

Obviously, the Shrike was awesome.  It was in the open/brushy field
when you first start on the trail.  I think someone else had seen it
before on the list. Saw it as we were leaving at 2:30.

There is also open water to the left of the entrance to the area,
across the open field. (maybe SB lake 5 on google map)- 50 Canada and
4 Mallards seen there.

Deb Neidert
Kent, Ohio