From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Apr 2009 19:04:43 -0400
I visited the Guilford Lake area today from 11AM to 2PM. The weather was rainy and 45 degrees; this did not dampen the birding. I was able to record 69 species! Here is a list of the highlights and first of the year (FOY) sightings:

Wood Duck 20+
Gadwall 4 pair
American Wigeon 2 pair
Blue-winged Teal 1 pair
Green-winged Teal 1 pair
Canvasback 1 pair
Ring-necked Duck 3 pair
Lesser Scaup 40+ pairs
Bufflehead 30+ pairs
Ruddy Duck 220+ (1 big raft)
Common Loon 34 (All in one raft)
Double-crested Cormorant 22+ (FOY)
Great Blue Heron See notes below
Bonaparte's Gull 8+
Herring Gull 30+
Purple Martin 6 (FOY)
Tree Swallow 120+ Sitting on the wires
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 2 (FOY)
Barn Swallow 35+ (FOY) also on wires
Brown Thrasher 2 (FOY) courting
Pine Siskin 3 still around!

Note: The single Great Blue Heron nest at Guilford Lake, Firestone Bay, is again active; this is at least the fifth year. In the past, the nest has produced at least four young each year! This is proof that Great Blue Herons do not always nest in a rookery with others!!!
Note: The Heron rookery on Beaver Creek at Elkton has 45+ active nests in the Sycamore grove.

Bob Lane