From:
"Bennett, Gregory" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bennett, Gregory
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 2009 14:29:28 -0400
I was unable to locate the red-throated loon this afternoon at Springfield Lake; it was there yesterday but appears to have moved on.  There were a couple migrant cliff swallows in the mix today and a purple martin Monday.  I have previously assumed that flocks of swallows were more evenly divided among the species but careful scanning reveals that over 75-80% are tree swallows.  Looking at the range maps confirms this as they nest much further north than barn swallows and northern rough-winged swallows don't really nest much further north than Michigan.

For other interesting sightings at Summit Lake recently see the following.
http://www.ohio.com/news/43391417.html

Peace,

Gregory Bennett
Akron OH

The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains, the world, and those who dwell in it.  For He has founded it upon the seas and established it upon the rivers.
Psalm 24:1-2