From:
STEPHEN HARVEY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
STEPHEN HARVEY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 22:46:47 -0400
Great fallout today in the Shawnee forest.  Birded for just four hours with
my ornithology class and had many species of warblers, vireos, etc.

Warblers
    Yellow - many
    Cap May - only 1
    Black-throated blue - 5
    Black-throated Green - 2
    Cerulean - 4
    Yellow-rumped - abundant
    Pine - 6
    Prairie - many
    Yellow-throated - abundant
    Tennessee - 3
    Connecticut - 2
    Blue-winged - many
    Northern Parula - 10
    Black-and-White - 1
    American Redstart - abundant
    Common Yellothraot -6
    Louisiana Waterthrush - 2
    Ovenbird - many
    Hooded - many
    Yellow-breasted Chat - 1

Vireo
    White-eyed - 12
    Blue-headed - 6
    Red-eyed - 12
    Philadelphia - 8
    Yellow-throated - 1

Other relatively new arrivals:
    Wood Thrush - many
    Hermit Thrush - 1
    Veery - 1
    Brown-headed Cowbirds - many
    Yellow-billed Cuckoo - 1
    Great Egret - 4 (been here a bit more than a week)
    Undetermined Empidonax Flycatcher - 1
    Ruby-throated Hummingbird - 1
    Golden-crowned Kinglet - several (been here for at least 10 days)
    Abundance of Blue-grey Gnatcatchers (also here for about 10 days)
    Eastern Meadowlark - many
    Chimney Swifts - 30 to 40
    Indigo Bunting - 9
    Eastern Kingbird - 25 (been around since last Friday)
    Barn Swallows - 50

Add the usual residents and those that arrived two or more weeks ago, and we
had an amazing day for birds.

If you head this way, parts of Forest Routes 2, 3, and 5 are closed for
prescribed burns, at least they were planning them, but as the wind picked
up around 11 AM today, I doubt they were accomplished, but be advised.

Dr. Stephen Harvey
Shawnee State University