From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 2009 15:26:58 -0700
I spent most of today in Ashtabula Co.  I was finally able to confirm nesting n. harriers up there.  A pair was at the east end of Tower Rd. in Richmond Twp.  The female was nest-building, the male did his part by chasing off a red-tailed hawk that came too close.  Farther west down this road is Dorset WA, which had 4 green-winged teal, savannah sparrow, bobolink, e. meadowlarks, and Baltimore oriole.  Next I went up to Conneaut harbor.  Noteworthy there were 3 green-winged teal, red-breasted merganser, c. loon, 100+ double-crested cormorants, Am. coot, spotted sandpiper, 225 Bonaparte's gulls, 50 great black-backed gulls, 56 Caspian terns, 3 Forster's terns, and a hermit thrush.  I then headed southwest to Orwell Marsh.  Good stuff there: 2 gadwalls, 10 blue-winged teal, 6 green-winged teal, semipalmated plover, 4 greater yellowlegs, 35 lesser yellowlegs, 8 solitary sandpipers, spotted sandpipers, 2 least sandpipers, Wilson's snipe, red-headed
 woodpecker, e. kingbird, cerulean warbler, yellow-rumped warblers, and rose-breasted grosbeak.  I searched for upland sandpiper in a number of places in Ashtabula Co., but no luck today.  Later, Craig