From:
Scott Albaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Albaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2009 08:41:18 -0400
Yesterday (April 1) I heard three first of season birds here in Jefferson Co.

Purple Finch

Chipping Sparrow

Louisiana Waterthrush

The Purple Finch has been of particular interest to me in recent years due to their presence in Jefferson Co. during the summer months.  In the last two years I have located singing males or pairs of these birds in four different Jefferson Co. locations.  In one location (my back yard) late last spring I found an adult feeding a recently fledged young.  All locations for this species have been upland stands of conifers.  The conifers have been all pine, all spruce, and mixed stands.  Years ago I did not encounter this species as frequently as I have in this area during the last two or three years.  Purple Finches are a bird to keep in mind while atlasing areas with conifers...especially here in Appalachia.

Also of note...there were a pair of Red-breasted Nuthatches in the Red Pine in my back yard.

Scott Albaugh

Jefferson County