Date:
Sat, 11 Apr 2009 19:09:09 -0400
I went back to the Big Island Wildlife Area mainly to check and see if I could confirm the Red Head Woodpecker nest that I saw...It's there, along with a pair of woodies chasing each other around the forest floor.

While there I heard that tell tell laugh of a Pileated Woodpecker.  Right in front of me was a male digging out a nest!  His mate was sitting on an opposing tree giving directions. I was able to get great views and pics of all the action.  Big trees make great blinds. :-)

After spending several minutes watching the beginnings of a new bird house, I trudged on through the marsh, I had hopes of finding an owl nest, I never did.  But I did see a dozen Wood Ducks, and in the distance I heard another Pileated.

On the way back to the trail leading out of the woods, I had to pass the Rookery mentioned in previous posts.  I kept hearing this odd squealing sound, and all of the Heron started going nuts, I look up and one of the local Bald Eagles was trying to get a Heron to leave their nest so it could raid it.  It didn't have any luck...but it was fun to watch. :-)

While back in the woods, I also heard and saw a pair N. Flickers, Red Bellies, and 10-12 Downys.

As I was walking back out on the trail, I saw a Phoebe having lunch, Titmice and Chickadees pretty much filled the list from the woods.

As I was walking back up on the dike, I was enjoying listening to the RWBBs. I heard a strange call intermixed with the RWBBs I looked and spotted a RUSTY!!! A first for me. There were 6-10 singing and flying between the trees That are on the corner of the rookery path and the dike that the ADA blind is on.

In addition to the above and the usual Geese and Mallards, I saw a dozen N. Shovelers that have been there all month, 1 Coot, six Blue Wing Teal, and enough tree swallows to mistake them for a swarm of flies. :-)  Really couldn't get an accurate count of the swallows, too fast.  But there looked to be around 20-30.

So this weekend I had three lifers and a new Pileated Nest!

Pics of Plieated couple and one of the Red-heads here: http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s226/sjlarue/Birds/

Have a happy and blessed Easter

Happy Birding and God bless.

Steve Jones
(a.k.a. sjlarue)
Blog: http://sjlarueslenses.blogspot.com/

29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.
30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
31 So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

(Matthew 10.29-31)