From:
Rebecca Hinkle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 2009 12:32:51 -0400
Thanks to Bill Whan for the reminder that I need to let everyone know
about available shorebird viewing on the Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge.
There are currently two visible areas on refuge property that have good
shorebird habitat, one Bill already mentioned in his post on 3/29
([Ohio-birds] North and north-central Ohio birds 3/28).  There are no
signs to tell you this but, the property on Benton-Carroll Road (south of
the deeper diked field) is owned by the refuge and while bird numbers
dropped by Monday there were still a good number of birds seen there.
Also, as mentioned, it is a narrow road and local traffic is heavy, please
bird with care ( DO NOT pull into the driveway at the little barn, the
culvert has collapsed and you could lose your car in the hole.)
The other location is visible from Veler Road.  Veler is located just over
5 miles west of the refuge entrance, turn right, the road dead ends at the
refuge gate and the habitat is south of the road.  A little care needs to
be taken when parking here, it is a school bus turn around so watch the
time and don't block the bus.  If any of you have visited the refuge for
the auto tours over the last year this area was part of the construction
project to convert an agricultural field into wetland habitat.   It was
very visible from the auto tour and was mentioned on the guide, but it is
just as visible any day of the week from the gate.  A scope is required
for any identification.  It is also being used by many dabbling ducks and
eagles, a bald eagle nest is also visible to the south of this unit.

Now for habitat on the hiking trails. The refuge is currently lowering the
water in two units.  One will only be lowered and one will be taken down
to mud.  This is unit 2A on the map and is the northwestern most unit. Of
course, if we've had much wind from the southwest the creek is a good
place to check.

On a non-shorebird note, some of the hiking trail is closed due to nesting
bald eagles.  This is the pair of eagles that was visible from the visitor
center (in the north woods).  A great horned owl moved in to this nest
early in the year and displaced the eagle pair.  There is a scope in the
visitor center for owl viewing and we believe there are young in the nest.

Outside of the public areas of the refuge there is a maintenance project
on the north side of the refuge that will require another unit be drained
to mud.  This project was planned for the fall to 1)discourage invasive
plant growth and 2) to provide fall shorebird habitat.  However, this
project has been moved up to the spring.  Right now plans are that this
habitat will be available on the auto tour this spring.  As with anything
in nature we can not predict 5 inch rainstorms or nesting eagles and
sometimes things do not go as we plan.

If anyone would like more information on the mechanics of moving water on
the refuge and how something that seems so simple is actually quite
complicated please feel free to email me off list and I would be glad to
get an explanation for you.   I would also be glad to answer any other
refuge related questions.

Please feel free to stop in the visitor center any day from 9 a.m. - 4
p.m. and share your sightings with us.  We do not get out on the trails as
much as we would like and welcome you telling us what is out there, we are
also more than willing to answer any questions you may have, or address
your concerns.  Others appreciate your sightings, as well, as we can then
share more with them.  In December the refuge opened it's newest addition
to the trails, we now have a short boardwalk connecting the visitor center
to the existing trail system.  While short, it travels through a great mix
of habitats from shrubs, to tall trees, to wetland.  We have seen a
wonderful variety of birds along the trail already.  For you early and
late birders (before 9 and after 4) our after hours restrooms should be
opening in the next few weeks.   This building is located north of the
visitor center, next to the visitor parking lot.

Good birding and we hope to see you all in the northwest Ohio area this
spring.  By the way, the next auto tour is April 18, followed by both May
9th and 10th.

Rebecca

Rebecca E. Hinkle
Visitor Services Manager