From:
Chris Knoll <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Knoll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2009 10:10:25 -0400
This morning Brown Thrashers and Yellow-rumped Warblers were seen at Magee
Marsh. Fox, Tree, Song, Junco, and White-throated Sparrows also were seen.
Rick N. of Toledo is back from Texas now and he had at least 20 Fox Sparrows
and Yellow-rumped Warblers on the boardwalk this morning. Thanks Rick for
bringing back the warblers from Texas. Also seen were Eastern Towhee, Winter
Wren, Golden-crowned Kinglets, Hermit Thrush, lots of N. Flickers and
Eastern Phoebe. The Brown Thrasher was seen and heard on the Magee Marsh
Wildlife Beach around 8:00 AM.

The causeway still has a few but not many American Wigeon, Gadwall, Northern
Shoveler, Ring-necked Duck, and Bufflehead. Also seen were American Coots
and Pied-billed Grebe along with Great Egret and Bald Eagles. Killdeer are
on the edge of the road all along the causeway so please drive slowly and
carefully.

Behind the Black Swamp Bird Observatory building was an Eastern Meadowlark
singing and then flying away towards the Ottawa NWR buildings along with
several N. Flickers and White-throated Sparrows. John Sawvel and I heard
several Fox Sparrows sing there too. I believe Rick also saw a thrasher at
the entrance of the wildlife area early in the AM.

Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge's new property on Benton Carroll Road was
full of ducks again this morning. Seen were lots of Mallards and American
Black Ducks, Northern Pintail, Blue-winged and Green Winged Teal, a few N.
Shoveler, and Ring-necked Duck to mention a few. Also present was a young
Bald Eagle with lots of white down his back and front. The shorebirds are
having fun also with lots of Wilson's snipe, both Yellowlegs, and Killdeer.
Probably present were others, but I didn't stay long. Thanks for buying that
property Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge; the ducks and shorebirds are
really are happy there. The best time to see these guys are in the early
morning when the sun is at your back. The colors on the ducks and snipe are
unreal to say the least. One warning birders, there is no where to park, so
pull-off as best as you can and put on your flashers. If the police come you
will have to leave, but I have not been bothered in the early morning hours
from 8 to 10.

Take care all,

Christopher J. Knoll

Education Director