From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 2009 20:02:03 -0400
I celebrated Easter morning on a bird transect between these two towns along St. 161 northwest of Columbus.  Dublin is very urbanized, while Plain City is very rural.  The suburban 'line' seems to be around Hyland-Croy Road, with lots of open farm fields west of that point.  I started at very urban parks in Dublin (Sawmill, Kiwanis) and progressed west through more isolated parks out to the Darby Creek accesses around Plain City.  Migration is still mostly temperate birds, and there was no big fallout today (which is no surprise given the nice weather).  Notables included:

Raptors - hardly any except for a displaying Cooper's Hawk at Darree Fields park at the west edge of Dublin (where they have nested in the past)

Woodpeckers - the expected residents, plus sapsuckers at several 'urban' parks (Sawmill, Heather Glen).  I didn't check the oaks at the Plain City fairgrounds for Red-headeds.

Swallows - Tree swallows were fighting over tree cavities at Kiwanis park, while 1-2 Barn swallows were foraging over Big Darby Creek out at Plain City.

Nuthatches - the OBBA says that White-breasateds don't nest this early, but I had fightin birds at Darree Fields and birds defending a cavity at McKitrick fishing access in Plain City.

Kinglets, Gnatcatchers - Goldne-crowns were widespread, being one of the few migrants all along the transect.  Blue-grays were strangely absent.

Hermit Thrushes - single birds were lurking at Kiwanis and Heather Glen Parks

E.Towhees - continue their strong showing this migration, with birds at most stops, even rather isolated ones.

Sparrows - plenty of Fields, Chippings, and Songs at many locations, but I also had 1 Savannah at Darree Fields, a singing Vesper at the west end of the Heritage rail-trail, and a singing Fox at Kiwanis park.