From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 2009 08:19:48 -0400
I had a chance to bird in Northwest ohio this weekend.  The mountain bluebird was extremeley cooperative.  I think we had to wait ten minutes before getting some great views.  Around the magee ottawa area songbird numbers were low.  I was able to find the expected things like kingklets, winter wren, fox sparrows and all, but low numbers and nothing out of the ordinary.  The woods at Ottwaw directly west of the first pond had a red-headed woodpecker.  I was able to find a pair of long-eared owls while checking some of my spots for them (sorry can't give a location).

The waterfowl were great.  If you hit enough areas you can still find all the regular dabblers and divers.  Again nothing out of the ordinary.

The shorebirds were pretty good.  I saw lots of greater and lesser yellowlegs and snipe.  On Saturday at Vehler Road we had a group of 3 long-billed dowitchers fly in.  They circled around a couple of times doing a lot of calling.  There was also a single black-bellied plover here Saturday.  On Sunday I saw no shorebirds there when I stopped.  there were three eagles in the area however.  Along Benton-Carroll Road just south of Route 2 there were the usual shorebirds on Saturday.  On Sunday there was a single least sandpiper and 8 golden plover.  There was also some shorebird habirtat on Route 163 just south of the lake County dump, east to Rte 2.  On Friday there were at least 4 fields with shorebirds.  On Sunday only one held water.  There were a lot of yellowlegs and a few pectorals on Sunday at the remaining pond.  It might be good with the expected rain.