From:
Lukas Padegimas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lukas Padegimas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 2009 13:08:18 -0400
Saturday, April 11, 2009
I went birding with a small group of people to Northwest Ohio in hope of
seeing the Mountain Bluebird. After seeing this amazingly fearless
induvidual, we continued to bird the whole day. A total of 87 species were
seen. At Oak Openings, highlights inclueded:
3-4 Vesper Sparrows
5-6 Red Headed Woodpeckers
Pine Warbler
At Ottawa:
A beautiful Great Horned Owl Nest with two fleglings
At Magee:
1 Snowy Egret
At Medussa Marsh:
Purple Martin

What is cool about today is that we got to see both Chipping and American
Tree Sparrows in one day and we could all say that we saw both bluebird
species in Ohio...

Here is the full list of birds seen during this trip
Ring-billed Gull
Great Blue Heron
Comorant
Red-Tailed Hawk
European Starling
Rough-Legged Hawk (near enterance to Magee)
Mallard
Red-Winged Blackbird
Common Grackle
Wilson's Snipe
Killdeer
Downy Woodpecker
Lesser Yellowlegs
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Canada Goose
Rusty Blackbird
Ringed-Necked Duck
Northern Shoveler
Blue-winged Teal
Tree Swallow
Bald Eagle
Great Egret
Mourning Dove
American Robin
Bonaparte's Gull
Herring Gull
Bufflehead
Hooded Meganser
House Sparrow
Rock Pigeon
Eastern Meadowlark
Mountain Bluebird
American Goldfinch
Wild Turkey
American Kestrel
Turkey Vulture
Blue Jay
American Crow
Eastern Bluebird
Chipping Sparrow
White-breasted Nuthatch
Dark-eyed Junco
Tufted Titmouse
Black-capped Chickadee
Pileated Woodpecker (heard)
Song Sparrow
Pine Warbler
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Pine Siskin
Purple Finch (at Oak Openings Nature Center)
Vesper Sparrow
Red-Headed Woodpecker
Eastern Towhee (heard)
Easter Pheobe
Field Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
White-Throated Sparrow
Red-Breasted Merganser
Pied-Billed Grebe
Barn Swallows (out in fields near Magee and Medusa)
Horned Lark
Mute Swan
American Coot
Gadwall