From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 2009 18:16:22 -0700
Emil Bacik, Phil Chaon, and I undertook the daunting drive to Mercer County today and were ridiculously rewarded with jaw-dropping encounters with SMITH'S LONGSPURS.  Upon arriving at the location, the very first bird that we laid eyes upon - a scant thirty feet from the road - was a jaunty male Smith's in near full breeding attire.  There were four in this first group and it soon became apparent that there were quite a few more present in the area.  The birds were at times quite active, engaging in chase and moving around and calling quite frequently.  We even watched a few birds bathe in a roadside puddle.  At least 35 were present in the slight area that we covered, and they moved back and forth freely between the cornfield/foxtail field and a large grassy field across the road.  When they do alight in the green, grassy field, however, they basically dissappear from view.

Photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28939750@N05/

If the word 'at' appears in the url, replace it with the 'at' symbol.

This area is PRIVATE PROPERTY, of course, but we did all of our viewing off the road with ease.  Without permission, there is no excuse to enter this property, but if the birds are as cooperative and active as today, this should pose no issue.  It would appear that the numbers are building here, as Smith's northward movements peak.  I spoke with Troy Shively today, and he plans on talking to the landowners Thur. about some sort of access for birders, so stay tuned.  But in the meantime, pull to the shoulder, stay out of the road as much as possible, and be respectful!

There were quite a few Lapland Longspurs present in the area, as well, many in breeding dress.  While Smith's surely occur in extreme western Ohio yearly, it is interesting to speculate whether the strong western winds as of late led to this concentration.

You can find the location on page 44 of the Delorme, 2C (previous edition Delorme).  Follow Rockford West Rd. west out of Rockford for appx. 2.5 miles, turn left on Hill Rd. and then left on Manley Rd.  At this point begin looking for Smith's on both sides of the road.  We didn't travel more than 1/4 mile up the road.  You access this area from US-30 from the north or US-33 from the south.

Good birding -
Gabe Leidy
Cleveland