From:
kent miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 2009 07:11:55 -0700
Yesterday, Ben Morrison, Jim Miller, and I logged 600 plus miles, 19 counties, 18 hours, and over 100 species, running out to see the Rockford longspurs and then winding our way back to home in Stark county. Most of our sightings had been previously reported here or on the Toledo Area Rarebird Alert but we thought others heading to see the longspurs today or Saturday may be interested in these location/bird updates:

Smith's longspurs:  immediately saw & heard several flying over Manley Rd 1/4 mi east of Hill Rd by the large post on the south side of the road as soon as we got out of the car at 8:30am. They would give a loud, dry, slightly descending rattle as they flew over (we never heard any of the many Laplands in the area call) and we eventually watched several drop into the corn close enough to allow excellent views as several perched on the cornstalks and continued to call while perching.

American Golden-Plover: 46 on the south side of Manley Rd in the large wet area 1/2 mile east of the longspur post. 54 were seen there later in the day.

Western Meadowlark: still very visible & vocal on the wires by the intersection of Cygnet & Range Line Rd 6 miles east of Cygnet.

Mountain Bluebird: once again very visible at its usual spot in Oak Openings

Saw-whet Owl: calling from east end of Magee Marsh boardwalk

Ottawa NWR area Shorebirds: Veler Rd east of Rt 2--at least a couple hundred Wilson's Snipe & a few Greater Yellowlegs. Benton-Carroll Rd south of Rt 2--maybe 30 Greater Yellowlegs and a couple Lessers, a few Snipe, 75 Dunlin, 6 Pectoral Sandpipers

Eurasion Wigeon: Bellevue skypond along CR 34 west of TR 80 in Seneca county. Many other dabblers and a few divers here & at Wellington gave us 21 species of ducks & 4 grebes for the day.

Eared Grebe: Bellvue skypond along TR 205 (Bonham Rd in Delorme) east of TR 288 (Wales Corners Rd) in Sandusky county. This bird is well into breeding plumage and on the same pond an Eared stayed on into June last year. An early Least Sandpiper remained on this pond. A Caspian Tern was on the east side of Flat Rock Rd north of TR 205.

Surf Scoter: 2 males and a female on Wellington Reservoir in Lorain County just outside Wellington.

White-winged Scoter: 1 male on Wellington Reservoir.

Red-necked Grebe: 1 still on Wellington Reservoir

Short-eared Owl: 1 flying at dusk in Ashland county, NE of Ashland on south side of CR 620 between state routes 58 & 89, just east of Rt 58.

Kent Miller
Hartville, OH