Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 2009 15:40:04 EDT
After being out of commission with a bug that wouldn't quit, I finally felt
 good enough to get back in the field. I thought I would start by checking
the  water levels at the north end of Hoover Reservoir as the area lacked
water under  many of my nest boxes. I was glad to see the water has risen by
over a foot  and  that most of my Prothonotary Warbler nest boxes now have
water below  them. No sign of the warblers yet but I expect them to arrive
during the coming  week. While I was at the preserve I did some birding in
select areas and was  glad I did. The highlight of the morning was an American
Bittern that I was less  than 30 feet from when I spotted it while I was
watching some Blue-winged Teal.  It was in the classic “I'm a sedge” pose
initially with its entire frame erect,  beak up and brown lines aligned with the
surrounding vegetation. I froze in  place and the who could outwait who
contest was on. After about 10 minutes it  decided that I wasn't a treat and it
commenced hunting the chorus frogs and  other items on the menu. I enjoyed
the show for about an additional 15 minutes  before I decided to leave
carefully and let the bittern enjoy its morning  buffet. Things are still somewhat
quiet at the preserve but the impending scull  regatta that’s scheduled for
later I the day probably kept many birds  away.

Species for the morning included:
Common Loon
Pied-billed  Grebe
Horned Grebe
Double-crested Cormorant
American Bittern
Great  Blue Heron
Great Egret
Turkey Vulture
Canada Goose
Mute  Swan
Wood Duck
Mallard
Blue-winged Teal
Green-winged  Teal
Osprey
Bald Eagle
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed  Hawk
American Coot
Killdeer
Ring-billed Gull
Mourning Dove
Barred  Owl
Belted Kingfisher
Red-headed Woodpecker
Red-bellied  Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated  Woodpecker
Eastern Phoebe
Blue Jay
American Crow
Tree  Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow
Carolina  Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown  Creeper
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
American  Robin
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
European  Starling
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Song  Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed  Junco
Northern cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern  Meadowlark
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
House Finch
American  Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve

**************Join ChristianMingle.com® FREE! Meet Christian Singles in
your area. Start now!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221246370x1201421635/aol?redir=http://www.christianmingle.com/campaign.html?cat=adbuy&src=pl
atforma&adid=aolfooter&newurl=reg_path.html)