Date:
Sun, 19 Apr 2009 01:06:37 EDT
Friday, April 17 -  (Sheldon Marsh, Old Woman's Creek, Medusa  Marsh and
Benton-Carroll Road)  Benton-Carroll is a real pleasure to bird  along.  The
people that live nearby are very friendly, and the 'locals'  that drive by
are always curious and interested in what is seen.  Trucks  and traffic have
decreased significantly on Route 2.  Route 2 has also  been much improved and
widened through the area from Route 19 through  Bono.  It is a much better
road since we began going there 14 years  ago.  We have never had a problem
with law enforcement personnel.

A beautiful weekend for birding in northern Ohio.  With temps in the  70's,
the birds were arriving.  The Ottawa Auto Tour, as KK has mentioned,  had a
great variety of ducks, many eagle sightings.  We watched a male  northern
harrier go through courtship display, zooming straight up like a  rocket,
turning on its back, and spiraling near the ground repeatedly.   Life sighting
!

Our list for Friday and Saturday includes birds seen on the boardwalk late
in the day on Saturday--3 p.m. until 6 p.m.  Surprises were singing yellow
warbler M & F; Brewer's blackbird, lots of hermit thrushes and winter
wrens.  And seemingly, every yellow-rumped warbler in Ohio !   Altogether, a
total of 84 species, including 1 NOID.

Canada goose
Mute swan
Trumpeter swan
Gadwall
American widgeon
Mallard
Blue-winged teal
Northern shoveler
Northern pintail
Green-winged teal
Redhead
Ring-necked duck
Lesser scaup
Bufflehead
Ruddy duck
Pied-billed grebe
DC cormorant
Great blue heron
Great egret
Snowy egret
Turkey vulture
Bald eagle
Northern harrier
Cooper's hawk
Red-tailed hawk
American kestrel
Common moorhen
American coot
American golden-plover
Killdeer
Greater yellowleg
Lesser yellowleg
Pectoral sandpiper
Dunlin
Wilson's snipe
Bonaparte's gull
Ring-billed gull
Herring gull
Mourning dove
Red-bellied woodpecker
Yellow-bellied sapsucker
Downy woodpecker
Northern flicker
Pileated woodpecker
Eastern phoebe
Blue Jay
American crow
Tree swallow
Barn swallow
Black-capped chickadee
Tufted titmouse
White-breasted nuthatch
Brown creeper
Carolina wren
Winter wren
Golden-crowned kinglet
Ruby-crowned kinglet
Blue-gray gnatcatcher
Eastern bluebird
Hermit thrush
American robin
Northern mockingbird
European starling
Yellow warbler
Yellow-rumped warbler
Eastern towhee
American tree sparrow
Chipping sparrow
Field sparrow
Song sparrow
Swamp sparrow
White-throated sparrow
Dark-eyed junco
Northern cardinal
Red-winged blackbird
Eastern meadowlark
Rusty blackbird
Brewer's blackbird
Common grackle
Brown-headed cowbird
Purple finch
House finch
American goldfinch
House sparrow

Now, about the NOID.  It was along the causeway at Crane Creek,
sparrow-size bird, clear breast, no dots, no stripes, no nuttin on the  breast.  Cheek
pattern looked like a lark something--2 black stripes on top  of head, 2
black stripes on throat looking like a broken X  from straight on.  Song was a
 rapid, buzzy trill.  Nothing in Peterson's or Sibley's  seemed to fit.
HELP ???

Thanks to everyone who helped make this such a great weekend !

Ed and Bev Neubauer
Englewood, Ohio
steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220814852x1201410738/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26