From:
Suzanne Butcher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Suzanne Butcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Apr 2009 10:39:24 -0400
Hi,

I was watching a pair of Pine Siskins this morning. They were initially feeding at a sunflower feeder. The female then went to a stash of cat hair I had put out for the Titmice and pulled out a large loose bunch and dropped to the ground with it close to where the male was now feeding. She seemed to play with it for awhile, left it, feed again at the feeder but then went back to the stash of hair and

gathered another bunch and flew off with it.

I am not sure what all this means. I would like to think she was she gathering nesting hair to line a nest already under construction? Or could this behavior be just a part of pair bonding which might occur before and away form nesting territory.

Any thoughts?

Suzanne Butcher

Trumbull County

Ohio