From:
Bill Stanley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Stanley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Apr 2009 13:09:57 -0400
After reading the reports of Prothonotary Warblers seen yesterday I thought
I would check the area where I find Prothonotarys at East Fork this morning.
It appears that lots of migrants arrived yesterday or last night.  When I
first arrived White-eyed Vireos were calling from the brush and Wood
Thrushes were singing from several locations.  I made an attempt to find
Louisiana Waterthrush and struck out.  I've only found one LOWA at the lake
so far this April even though I have checked many areas where they usually
are present by this time.  While making my way up a woodland creek I heard a
Scarlet Tanager singing from high in top of a tree on top of a steep hill
beside the creek.  It only sang two times and I had no luck trying to find
the bird.  Yellow-throated Warblers and Northern Parulas were common and
vocal this morning.  There were also a couple flyover Chimney Swifts.    I
almost forgot to mention a Prairie Warbler singing this morning.

Location:     East Fork State Park Bethel Concord Rd Area

Observation date:     4/19/09

Number of species:     47

Canada Goose     2

Wild Turkey     2

Great Blue Heron     6

Turkey Vulture     1

Red-shouldered Hawk     1

Red-tailed Hawk     1

Mourning Dove     8

Barred Owl     1

Chimney Swift     3

Belted Kingfisher     2

Red-bellied Woodpecker     6

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker     1

Downy Woodpecker     4

Northern Flicker     1

Pileated Woodpecker     2

White-eyed Vireo     8

Blue Jay     6

American Crow     3

Tree Swallow     24

Barn Swallow     4

Carolina Chickadee     24

Tufted Titmouse     8

White-breasted Nuthatch     2

Carolina Wren     2

Golden-crowned Kinglet     1

Ruby-crowned Kinglet     6

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher     24

Wood Thrush     5

American Robin     8

Brown Thrasher     2

European Starling     12

Cedar Waxwing     35

Northern Parula     6

Yellow-throated Warbler     12

Prairie Warbler     1

Prothonotary Warbler     1

Scarlet Tanager     1

Eastern Towhee     8

Chipping Sparrow     2

Field Sparrow     2

Song Sparrow     6

White-throated Sparrow     24

Northern Cardinal     36

Red-winged Blackbird     2

Common Grackle     6

Brown-headed Cowbird     24

American Goldfinch     10

Bill Stanley

P Please consider the environment before printing this message.