From:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Apr 2009 13:44:14 -0400
Hi Everyone--

Beth and I had a very good day at Ottawa and Magee yesterday as well. Though
our list for the day was not close to the Nuebauers' (whom we finally met, I
think, though we didn't introduce ourselves), at about 53 or 54 species for
the day. Instead of repeating the species that they saw, I'll add the few
that we managed to see that they didn't, apparently:

At Ottawa, Brown Thrasher (obligingly posing out in the open on an as-yet
unleaved tree) and great Horned Owl

At the Magee boardwalk, Pine Warbler (I'm sure just inadvertently left out
of that terrific list)

One amusing moment was watching a Herring Gull harass an juvenile Bald Eagle
over one of the impoundments at Ottawa.

Best wishes,

Steve Cagan
Cleveland Heights

 on 4/19/09 1:06 AM, [log in to unmask] at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Friday, April 17 -  (Sheldon Marsh, Old Woman's Creek, Medusa  Marsh and
> Benton-Carroll Road)  Benton-Carroll is a real pleasure to bird  along.  The
> people that live nearby are very friendly, and the 'locals'  that drive by
> are always curious and interested in what is seen.  Trucks  and traffic have
> decreased significantly on Route 2.  Route 2 has also  been much improved and
> widened through the area from Route 19 through  Bono.  It is a much better
> road since we began going there 14 years  ago.  We have never had a problem
> with law enforcement personnel.
>
> A beautiful weekend for birding in northern Ohio.  With temps in the  70's,
> the birds were arriving.  The Ottawa Auto Tour, as KK has mentioned,  had a
> great variety of ducks, many eagle sightings.  We watched a male  northern
> harrier go through courtship display, zooming straight up like a  rocket,
> turning on its back, and spiraling near the ground repeatedly.   Life sighting
> !
>
> Our list for Friday and Saturday includes birds seen on the boardwalk late
> in the day on Saturday--3 p.m. until 6 p.m.  Surprises were singing yellow
> warbler M & F; Brewer's blackbird, lots of hermit thrushes and winter
> wrens.  And seemingly, every yellow-rumped warbler in Ohio !   Altogether, a
> total of 84 species, including 1 NOID.
>
> Canada goose
> Mute swan
> Trumpeter swan
> Gadwall
> American widgeon
> Mallard
> Blue-winged teal
> Northern shoveler
> Northern pintail
> Green-winged teal
> Redhead
> Ring-necked duck
> Lesser scaup
> Bufflehead
> Ruddy duck
> Pied-billed grebe
> DC cormorant
> Great blue heron
> Great egret
> Snowy egret
> Turkey vulture
> Bald eagle
> Northern harrier
> Cooper's hawk
> Red-tailed hawk
> American kestrel
> Common moorhen
> American coot
> American golden-plover
> Killdeer
> Greater yellowleg
> Lesser yellowleg
> Pectoral sandpiper
> Dunlin
> Wilson's snipe
> Bonaparte's gull
> Ring-billed gull
> Herring gull
> Mourning dove
> Red-bellied woodpecker
> Yellow-bellied sapsucker
> Downy woodpecker
> Northern flicker
> [...]

Steve Cagan, photographer
www.stevecagan.com
216-932-2753 (USA)
Current and upcoming activities:
stevecagan.com/contents/currentactivities.html