From:
Dan Gesualdo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 2009 10:39:07 EDT
Yesterday was great day for us while birding in this region. At Ottawa we
were observing the Great Horned Owls nest for awhile and were able to see a
single hatchling for sure, maybe two, and a very protective parent as a bald
eagle got a little too close for their liking. We walked around Ottawa for about
an hour and the boardwalk at Magee and checked also out the flooded areas on
Benton Carroll Road. Looking forward to the coming weeks

Canada Goose
Mute Swan
Trumpeter Swan
Tundra  Swan
Wood Duck
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
Blue-winged Teal
Northern Shoveler
Northern  Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck
Bufflehead
Hooded  Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Pied-billed Grebe
Double-crested  Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Turkey  Vulture
Osprey
Bald  Eagle
Northern Harrier
Red-tailed Hawk
American  Kestrel
American Coot
Lesser Yellowlegs
Pectoral  Sandpiper
Wilson's  Snipe
American Woodcock
Bonaparte's Gull
Ring-billed  Gull
Mourning Dove
Eastern Screech-Owl
Great Horned  Owl
Northern Saw-whet Owl (heard at Magee at  the far eastern end of the
boardwalk)
Belted  Kingfisher
Red-headed  Woodpecker
Red-bellied  Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Eastern  Phoebe
Blue Jay
American  Crow
Tree Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee
Brown  Creeper
Winter Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Eastern  Bluebird
American Robin
Brown Thrasher
European  Starling
Yellow-rumped  Warbler
Louisiana Waterthrush (along the auto  tour drive about halfway to where
there is a large pump at the first drive on  the left)
Eastern Towhee
American Tree  Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
White-throated  Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco - lots of the  everywhere
Northern Cardinal
Red-winged  Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark
Rusty Blackbird