From:
Chris Knoll <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Knoll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 2009 12:56:33 -0400
Ottawa NWR Benton Carroll Road Property -

In the rain today the birds were very active this morning around 8:00 AM.
Ottawa's Benton Carroll Road property was full of birds again! Color was
poor because of the gray sky, but there were plenty of Mallards, American
Wigeon, a few A. Black Ducks, N. Pintail, N. Shoveler, Green-winged &
Blue-winged Teal, and one pair of Wood Ducks. Rusty Blackbirds were calling
all-over and many were close to the road feeding along the waters edge.
Again, there was over 45 Wilson's Snipe, Bonaparte's Gulls, and Greater
Yellowlegs feeding aggressively in and around the water. I can't remember
seeing so many Greater Yellowlegs in one spot before! Many were actively
feeding and flying around and calling. The sound was awesome in the rain.
They're a few Lesser Yellowlegs and Killdeer too.

Magee Marsh Causeway -

Swamp and Song Sparrows were singing all-over the marsh! The Trumpeter Swans
were feeding so much that I only saw their heads a few times. The ducks were
also here as I enjoyed lots of Gadwall, a few Green-winged Teal, Wood Ducks,
N. Shoveler, and one each of Pied-billed and Horned Grebe. The American
Coots are now in great numbers. I only saw one male Bufflehead this morning.
D.C. Cormorants and Tree Swallows were around in increasing numbers as were
several Wilson's Snipe along the water edge. At the end of the causeway
around the bend to the first Cottonwood tree on the left was a Northern
Mockingbird on the road! Not a shrike! My first at Magee in a very long
time. I think the shrike's maybe gone people!

The pond at the famous Magee Marsh boardwalk -

Had a lot of ducks early in the AM. Lesser Scaup, Ring-necked Duck, Gadwall,
American Wigeon were in good numbers plus four Wood Ducks flew by and landed
at the far western edge of the pond where its hard to see them. Northern
Flickers and Red-winged Blackbirds were everywhere and calling in the rain!
The flickers yellow-shafted wing feathers and their white, cottontail-like
rumps were easy to see in the dark light.

BSBO - Black Swamp Bird Observatory feeders -

Had a female Purple Finch around 9 AM.  The bold white stripe above her eye
was very noticeable in the dark light. The American Goldfinches are really
getting yellow; nice!

Metzger Marsh -

There are American Coots everywhere. Still present in fair numbers are
Redhead, Ring-necked Ducks, Gadwall and American Wigeon. We also saw a
Pied-billed Grebe up-close, DC Cormorants, a Bald Eagle, a Mute Swan and
lots of Tree Swallows.

The wooded area of Metzger had my first Ruby-crowned Kinglet of the year!!
Also present was an Eastern Phoebe, Brown Creeper and N. Flicker.

Talk to you later birders,

<file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CCHRISK%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5C
clip_filelist.xml> Christopher J. Knoll

       Education Director

       Black Swamp Bird Observatory

      13551 West State Route 2