Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:06:32 -0400
Sunday 8am-12pm
Firestone Metropark, Akron, Summit County

The best bird and my FOS:
1 blue headed vireo

Mystery bird:
Unidentified flycatcher. No tail pumping but looked much like a phoebe. Too
early for e. wood pewee? Head dark, tail seemed somewhat shorter than
phoebe, notched and rounded. I did not note wing bars or lack thereof. It
refused to identify itself and was silent.

robins and bluejays galore!
More ruby crowned kinglets than I've seen in my birding lifetime, combined!
1 golden crowned kinglet
many N. flickers
many downy woodpeckers
1 coopers/sharp shinned hawk flyby
4 yellow bellied sapsuckers
several red bellied woodpeckers
2 e. phoebe
1 pair dark eyed junco (staying?)
3 e. towhee
1 field sparrow ( I can only i.d. these by song... most sparrows all look
alike to me!)
1 brown thrasher
1 great blue heron
1 e. bluebird
4 rusty blackbirds
2 winter wrens (one playing his super sonic piccolo)
4 blue winged teal in the race, when spooked by a dog walker flew off
showing their blue wings. Best close up view ever!
70-80 common loons in the reservior
dozen or so ruddy ducks " " " , one ruddy in the river below the spillway
hanging with two mallards
2 pairs of wood ducks perched high in the trees - I pointed them out to a
hiking family passing by, the small children were fairly giddy about it.
Maybe sparked a future birder?
5 hermit thrushes
2 barn swallows
tons of white throated sparrows
plenty of cardinals, titmice, song sparrows, grackles, r.w blackbirds,
cowbirds, starlings, finches, mallards, ca. goose, and the usual stuff...
voracious chickadees fluttering about my head looking for a handout... note
to self, remember to bring seed next time!

Notably missing:
No fox sparrows detected
Have not seen a white crowned sparrow anywhere this year
Not a single warbler. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

Saturday at the Furnace Run Daffodil trail I had my first broad winged hawk
of season.
At Horseshoe pond, CVNP, I had many golden and ruby crowned kinglets, a
singing winter wren, lots of vocal red breasted nuthatches, and great close
up views of pileated woodpecker.

Karen Gray
Copley, Summit Co.